This Southwestern Black Bean Salad is great for those nights when I’m not sure what to make for dinner. Most of the ingredients are staples in my kitchen and everything combined makes a delicious, quick and easy one-dish meal.
Black beans, the star of the dish, provide protein and fiber. The veggies, herbs and spices, which include corn, tomatoes, bell pepper, scallions and cilantro add texture, flavor, vitamins and other micronutrients essential to a healthful diet.
This dish works great as a side dish and is easy to prepare ahead of time, which makes it perfect for bringing to potlucks and parties or packing in a lunch to work or school.
- 1 can of black beans
- 1/2 cup corn (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers
- 1/2 cup tomatoes
- 1/4 cup diced scallions
- 1/4 chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- juice of half a lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop the bell peppers, scallions and cilantro and add to a large bowl with the beans and corn.
- Add the finely grated garlic, cumin and lime juice and combine. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Add tomatoes last so they don't get mushy.
- -Serve on top of chopped iceberg lettuce to make a larger salad.
- -Make a burrito by add some taco tempeh and rice and wrap it up in a tortilla.
- -Serve with tofu scramble for a southwestern breakfast.